1. How has this year been for you? 2. What was the first thing you did when you woke up? 3. The person you like is… 4. Is anything bothering you? 5. Does anyone annoy you? 6. What was the last thing you did before you went to bed last night? 7. Do you remember who you liked on New Years? 8. Do you still like them? 9. Who did you like this time last year? 10. Have you ever lied to your parents about where you were? 11. Are you dating the last person you kissed? 12. Do you like being home alone? 13. Are you scared of roller coasters? 14. What are some reoccuring themes in your dreams? 15. Do you usually remember your dreams? 16. If someone liked you right now, would you want them to tell you? 17. Will you be in a relationship three weeks from now? 18. Were you single last Valentine’s day? 19. Will you be this next one? 20. Is there anyone that really annoys you? 21. Do you have any bruises on you? 22. How was 2011 for you? 23. What is your sexual orientation? 24. Do you ever get good morning or good night texts from anyone? 25. Do you have any regrets from your past? 26. Have you ever been on a boat? 27. Have you ever had sex in public? 28. What’s the weirdest place you’ve ever had sex? 29. Have you ever been in love? 30. Where did you lose your virginity? 31. How is your relationship now with the person you lost your virginity to? 32. Are you responsible for taking anyone else’s virginity? 33. Have you ever kissed someone of the same gender? 34. Who was the last person you had a serious conversation with? 35. How was your day yesterday? 36. How has your day been today? 37. Would you kiss anyone you’ve texted today? 38. Are you religious? 39. What’s your favorite book? 40. Who is your favorite band? 41. Has anyone ever tried to ruin a relationship you were in? 42. Do you miss anyone right now? 43. Have you ever wished you hadn’t ended a relationship that you did? 44. Are you still in school? 45. What do you want to be when you “grow up”? 46. What’s your favorite Disney movie? 47. How old were you when you found out Santa didn’t exist? 48. The Easter Bunny? 49. What song is stuck in your head right now? 50. What’s your heritage? 51. Are you addicted to anything? 52. Someone knocks on your window at 5 am, what do you do? 53. Have you ever had someone throw pennies at your window to get your attention? 54. Do you have a good relationship with your parents? 55. Would you rather live in the country, suburbs or city? 56. Is your current hair color your natural hair color? 57. Do you swear in front of your parents? 58. Do you do drugs? 59. Do you smoke cigarettes? 60. Do you have any tattoos? 61. What are some that you want, if any? 62. Do you have any nicknames? 63. What song have you listened to the most today? 64. Have you ever cheated on anyone? 65. Have you ever been cheated on? 66. When was the last time you were drunk? 67. Have you ever liked someone your friends hated? 68. Have you ever regretted sleeping with someone? 69. What are you going to dress up as next Halloween? 70. What kind of guys/girls do you tend to go for? 71. Do you like chocolate? 72. Do you believe the saying “once a cheater, always a cheater”? 73. Put the 7 deadly sins in order of the ones you commit from most to least. 74. Do you want to get married and have kids one day? 75. What is your favorite food? 76. Do you like sports? 77. Do you have any siblings? 78. What is your heritage? 79. Where else have you lived? 80. Where would you like to live in the future?
I should probably start reading through these things before I actually reblog them. I’m bored and I wasted a lot of time getting a copy of L.A Noire for PC and now it won’t run… How will I procrastinate now :(
Right, I know who you are and you need to just fuck right off. You’ve clearly got some serious issues and I’m not sure why you’re still considering to stalk my tumblr when I’ve made it pretty clear that I don’t want to talk to you ever again. Oh, and I can see you sending creepy messages to other people I follow by the way, get a grip man.
hope it's not too late to ask, im genuinely interested haha - 12, 16, 20, 29 34 & 35 xo
12. Top 5 Actors - THIS IS DIFFICULT. Christian Bale, Paddy Considine, Leonardo DiCaprio, Steve Buscemi (no particular order) and Nic Cage, in the sense that he’s a terrible actor but I find him beyond hilarious. I’ve probably missed loads of actors I love off this list but these were the first people that came to mind :)
16. Tearjerker - I actually love depressing films… some of my favourites are Boys Don’t Cry (already mentioned this for another question but it’s too good not to), Dancer in the Dark, Grave of the Fireflies, and Lilya 4-eva.
20. Just answered this one in the last ask :)
29. A movie from your favourite director you didn’t like - Well there’s a lot of Lars von Trier films I haven’t got around to watching still because I can’t afford to buy them but so far I guess my least favourite by him is The Idiots. I kind of get what he was trying to do but the whole concept is just too bizarre for me to relate to the protagonist in that one.
34. Favourite fictional character - From a film? I love Ben Whishaw’s character in Perfume, he’s so cute and naive and AWW. I dunno if that’s really my favourite I just can’t be bothered thinking of anything better right now…
7. A guilty pleasure - Nicolas Cage films. I know he’s awful but I can’t help but buy every DVD I see that has his face on the cover. Other than that I think my DVD collection is fairly respectable, although I do watch a lot of bad reality TV.
20. A movie that was better than the book - Fight Club? And that’s not to say that the book was bad, but it’s definitely not my favourite Chuck Palahniuk novel, and I just like the film better, probably because the performances by Brad Pitt and Edward Norton really just inject way more life into the story in my opinion.
35. A movie you wish they never made -Lost Boys 2: The Tribe. The same could be said for loads of sequels really but that one really killed me because I have a special place in my heart for The Lost Boys.
An article I wrote on the director David Lynch’s background in painting and the influence of various artists on his work is up now on Art Film Now, an art-based criticism website set up by a friend of mine. Keep an eye on that site if you’re interested in that kind of thing because I have a few more articles planned for it in the future!
I also changed my mind and decided to write a little something about The Iron Lady after all, so that is up now on my personal film blog.
4. Top 5 directors - Lars von Trier, John Hughes, David Lynch, Joel & Ethan Coen, Pedro Almodóvar. In no particular order, because I really couldn’t decide. THEY’RE ALL MY FAVOURITES.
6. Your best experience on going to the movies - Although it sounds lame, I’ve been to the cinema by myself a few times and it’s kind of great because you’re just so fully absorbed in what’s happening on the screen in front of you. Inception was the first movie I dared to go and see by myself and I’m not ashamed to admit that I fully enjoyed myself! Who needs friends D:
22. A kids movie you always watch -Labyrinth and Big are two of my favourite films! And of course The Muppet Christmas Carol needs to be watched multiple times every December.
31. 3 movies you’re expecting excitedly -The Artist, Coriolanus and Shame… although all of these are already out I just haven’t had time to go and see them yet. If we’re talking films that are yet to be released, I’m eagerly awaiting The Hunger Games because I loved the book, Prometheus to see if it comes at all close to capturing the essence of Alien and Young Adult just because I’ve heard a lot of good things about it :)
8. An overrated movie - Everybody will probably unfollow me for this, but I don’t like The Virgin Suicides. In fact I’ve never enjoyed a Sofia Coppola movie, they’re kind of nice to look at but just feel flat in my opinion.
9. An underrated movie -Boy’s Don’t Cry. I don’t know if it really counts as underrated but I only know of a handful of people who have seen it. It’s so moving, and Hilary Swank’s performance is amazing.
Ask me to take a picture of any aspect of my life that you're interested in/curious about - it can be anything from the house I live in to my favourite shoes. Leave your choice here as an ask, and I will reciprocate by taking the pictures and posting them later here. Be as random as you like, make it interesting!
Hi, What is the significance of the traffic lights at Sparkwood and 21?
I’m not quite sure what it is that you’re asking me (or for what purpose, haha) but in Twin Peaks the traffic lights at Sparkwood and 21 are where James says he last saw Laura Palmer. The image of the traffic lights swaying in the wind is then used throughout the series on several occasions.
There’s some slight disagreement as to why this recurring image was used, a lot of people just say that it’s used simply as a slightly interesting visual motif and nothing more. According to several sources (including the book David Lynch: Beautiful Dark by Greg Olson) the traffic light motif was actually one of Mark Frost’s contributions to the show, even though it does seem like a bit of a Lynchian image.
In the most obvious sense, the traffic light can be viewed as a warning sign, highlighting the sense of danger. J. P. Telotte (in an essay for the book Full of Secrets: Critical Approaches to Twin Peaks) touches on the idea of the traffic lights as an “enigmatic character”; the constant changing of the lights might indicate a feeling of uncertainty, which is particularly appropriate in a town like Twin Peaks where nothing is quite as it seems.
David Lynch himself discusses the significance of the traffic lights (but being a man who doesn’t really like to put too much linguistic analysis in to his work, the things he says are a bit vague and sometimes don’t make a great deal of sense) in Lynch on Lynch:
Well the intersection of Sparkwood and 21 is where Laura last saw James - or James last saw Laura. And these traffic lights are there. Snow and different temperatures means they have to be fluid. So they blow in the wind. And these traffic lights become kind of important. They were used again where Cooper says, ‘All those murders took place at night.’ So when you see a red light, or a light turning to red, and it’s moving, it gives you a feeling. And then it becomes like the fan in the hall outside Laura’s room. It makes you wonder. And it gives you the willies!
Personally I think a lot of the significance with the traffic lights also lies in the fact that we see them moving in the wind, in the same way that we also get a lot of shots of trees moving in the wind cut in between different scenes. The wind reminds us of nature, of the fact that there is a force out there uncontrollable by man, in the same way that we soon come to learn throughout the series that there is a supernatural force also uncontrollable by man. Wind is actually used a lot as a signifier of something supernatural in horror films, with the wind often being seen as some sort of carrier for evil spirits.
Well I’m sorry it took me so long to get back to this because I haven’t been on tumblr properly in a while, and I hope you weren’t hoping for any kind of definitive answer because I’m afraid I can’t give you one, but if you just read around a bit, there’s a few different intepretations of what the traffic light thing might mean :)
Not a lot to say about it really, other than that it wasn’t quite as awfully biased as I expected it to be… it has its moments but there’s also moments where Thatcher’s bad decisions are clearly acknowledged. It was alright. Not going to bother writing a review of it, not least because I have so much work to do for uni and a shitload of house-viewings lined up for this week!