The opening scene of Harmony Korine’s latest teen-flick-with-a-difference, Spring Breakers, could easily be confused with an episode of MTV’s Jersey Shore - a reality show that is both horrific and…
Some thoughts on women and Spring Breakers.
Anybody going to/fancy going to London Comic-con this weekend? I’m probably going to go since I’m still going to be in London, but it’d be preferable to not go by myself!
Having a pretty good week in London so far. Went to a press screening of The Great Gatsby last night - it’s visually impressive, and the Jay-Z soundtrack bugged me less than I expected it to. But overall I felt pretty emotionally distanced from it. Wouldn’t watch it twice. Got an essay to finish off tonight, then I can have a nice chilled weekend. We’re also going to see Dancer in the Dark on Sunday at the BFI as part of their Lars von Trier season. You’d think I’d be sick of LVT after writing my dissertation on the guy, but nope, apparently not.
It’s confirmed! I’ll be heading to London on Sunday for two weeks for a work experience placement. So if you live around there and fancy hanging out during that time, hit me up.
sansabeans asked: TAG, you’re it! The rules are to state ten random facts about yourself. Then send this to the fifteen nicest people on tumblr. :)
Oh man, I’m rubbish at these things. But since I’d rather be doing ANYTHING than finishing my coursework right now, I’ll play along. Thanks for tagging me!
1. I’m graduating REALLY FUCKING SOON and it’s slightly terrifying because I have no idea what I’m going to do after that. Ideally I would like to work in film production or distribution. I was supposed to be getting some exp in a production office right about now but I’m still not really sure if it’s happening…
2. I’m on a big comics hype at the moment. I can’t remember the last time I read a regular novel actually, which is a tad worrying. Currently lovin’ the recent Batwoman stuff, with art by J.H. Williams III.
3. Met one of my favourite British actors, Paddy Considine, the other night at a gig. He was lovely!
4. Debbie Harry is my queen. As soon as I have some form of income I’m getting a portrait of her tattooed on my leg.
5. I really enjoy trashy TV shows like Geordie Shore, The Simple Life, Flavor of Love, Mob Wives… it’s kind of a guilty pleasure except that I don’t feel too guilty about it. I watch a lot of decent stuff too, honest!
6. I dress in black a lot. Colours and patterns scare me. But strangely, my taste in decor is really cutesy and pastel. I’m not sure how this happened.
7. I collect old Polly Pocket sets. Not in an obsessive way, just the good ones if I happen to find them… I also really love board games and I’m on the lookout for a reasonably-priced Furby. I’m basically still a child.
8. I’ve been working for a horror/cult film festival based in Manchester for almost a year now. We have an annual festival each October and lots of screenings monthly. Come to our events, it will make me happy! grimmfest.com
9. I can’t cook for shit. I live off takeaways and occasional dinners at my mum’s house.
10. I used to be really into photography and I still have quite a lot of film cameras… just don’t really use them much anymore unfortunately. I think because university just started getting in the way and then I stopped being friends with the people I used to go out taking photos with. Sadness.
I can’t be bothered to tag people. You’re all equally special to me, okay.
Have hardly been on here for the past couple of months in an attempt to get my dissertation finished. Yeah… it’s still not finished. And I now have an essay on female superheroes in comics to write. That’s a fun topic but for some reason I’m choosing to procrastinate by coming on tumblr instead. Cool.